Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Inductive & Deductive Reasoning -- Geometry

I am way behind on this post!

I did a quick lesson in the geometry classes about Inductive and Deductive reasoning. We defined the two types and then I read Tedd Arnold's book, Parts, asking the students what type of reasoning the boy uses in the book to decide his body is falling apart. (The answer is Inductive, by the way, because he uses the pattern of what's happening to him to make his assumption.)



After the story, the students were given a 1/4 sheet of paper and an idiom. They had to draw a picture of what the idiom actually stated and then define what we really mean when we use the idiom. It wasn't as easy as you think it might have been. I realized that some idioms are not used by our students and others confuse them.

The kids love the book (I haven't found anyone who doesn't) and we had a good time with the small lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment